Academic Requirement

navigation arrow

Every professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada has to meet the academic requirements for licensure. The best and easiest way to do this is to have completed a minimum four-year undergraduate degree or its equivalent in engineering. That degree must be recognized as equivalent to a Canadian accredited four-year undergraduate degree in engineering.

You may also be able to meet the academic requirements through examinations, bridging programs or taking university courses.


How does my education compare to a Canadian engineering education?

Engineers Canada developed an Academic Information Tool to help you determine if your education is sufficient to begin the process of becoming licensed in Canada. The tool can also provide suggestions on how you can meet Canadian educational requirements.


Are examinations required?

The provincial/territorial engineering association you’ve applied to will check your academic history and could require you to write any number of examinations in three categories:

  1. Basic studies examinations, which test your abilities in mathematics, basic sciences and engineering sciences

  2. Complementary studies examinations that test your knowledge in applying engineering to the real world

  3. Discipline-specific examinations focused primarily on engineering science and engineering design

When you pass your examinations, you will have met the academic requirement to become licensed as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada.  You would be considered as an Engineer-in-Training with your engineering association.

Review the academic requirements policy of the association you’ve applied to for details.


What documents do I need to bring?

The provincial/territorial association you apply to will ask you to provide certain academic documents. These usually include your degree and transcripts but can vary from one association to the next. Confirm which academic documents are required by the association you’ve applied to.  In most cases, your degree and transcripts must be sent directly from your institution to the provincial/territorial engineering association.    Make sure you gather the required documents before you come to Canada. Sometimes these documents can be hard to obtain after you’ve emigrated.

You will also need to get these documents translated into either English or French depending on the province or territory. Check with the provincial/territorial engineering association you’ve applied to for specific requirements. You may need to use an approved translation service (if so, you will have to pay for the translation) to provide certified translations, and may be asked to include the original documents or copies notarized by a lawyer.


Does work experience help meet academic requirements?

You must demonstrate that you are academically qualified.  However, the engineering association you apply to may waive certain academic examinations if you have worked as an engineer and have between 5 and 10 years’ acceptable experience. Acceptable work experience is assessed by the engineering association you apply to, on an individual basis.

PREVIOUS Application Process
NEXT Work Experience Requirement