Application Process

navigation arrow

There are many steps involved in applying to become a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada. 

Requirements for Licensure

application process chart


It could take up to a year for a provincial/territorial association to assess your qualifications after receiving all of your required documents. In some cases, an association may require you to take further steps such as an examination or obtaining more education. Typically, the rest of the application process can take an additional two to five years.

You may be able to start your application process by preparing paperwork before coming to Canada. The documents you will be asked to provide can vary depending on which provincial/territorial engineering association you apply to for licensure. Visit the engineering association websites for application guides, forms and other information for the province or territory you want work in.

The following describes the application process. Note that it does not necessarily proceed in this order: 


Submission of required documents

When you apply to become an engineer in Canada, the association you apply to will need to see documents that give information about your education, work experience, character, language competency and understanding of ethics and laws in Canada. The time it takes to complete this step depends on you, so gather your required documents as quickly as possible.


Academic assessment

The association will look at your academic documents—degrees, transcripts or certificates—to determine if you need to complete any additional courses or take any examinations. In most cases, your degree and transcripts must be sent directly from your institution to the provincial/territorial engineering association.  If your academic documents are not in the language of practice of the province/territory in which you wish to work, you must also provide certified translations. 

Learn more >


Work experience and references assessment

The association assesses your work experience record and reference letters to make sure you have completed the required minimum of four years of engineering work experience (including one year of supervised engineering experience in a Canadian environment).

The format and requirements of your work experience record will vary from one engineering association to the next, but generally should include your employer’s name, the position you held, your supervisor’s name and a description of the engineering work you did.  Your work record must be approved by a professional engineer (P.Eng.). Check with the engineering association you will apply to for more information on work experience requirements. 

You do not have to wait until you have one year of supervised engineering experience in Canada before submitting your application.

Learn more >


Language competency assessment

You must meet the language requirements of the province/territory you wish to work in. Language competency means that you are able to communicate effectively with the public, colleagues, employers, and others.  Communication should be clear and professional, both orally and in writing. The provincial/territorial associations use a variety of methods to assess language competency.

Learn more >


Character assessment

The association you apply to for licensure will ensure that you have observed the values of truth, honesty and trustworthiness so that you can uphold the reputation of the profession as you work as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada.

Learn more >


Professional Practice Examination

The mandatory Professional Practice Examination (PPE) tests your knowledge of ethics and Canadian law as it relates to engineering, including contract, patent, trademark and copyright laws. This exam is offered at least twice a year.  Check with the provincial/territorial association in which you wish to practice engineering for more information.

Learn more >


Licensure granted

When you have successfully completed all the steps in the application process, the association you apply to for licensure will give you your official certificate, a letter of confirmation and other items.


PREVIOUS Licensing in Canada
NEXT Academic Requirement