Engineering in Canada

navigation arrow

Are you considering coming to Canada to work as an engineer? Did you receive your engineering education outside of Canada? If you answered yes to either question, this website is for you.  

You’ll find practical information about what’s involved in becoming part of the Canadian engineering profession, to help you prepare for and get licensed to work here. Find out what you need to bring when you come, how your education and work experience are assessed, and how the engineering profession is regulated. 


What is Engineers Canada?

Engineers Canada is a national, non-profit organization that represents all of Canada’s professional engineering associations and helps develop guidelines, examinations and national engineering standards. Engineers Canada does not grant licences to practise.


What is the ‘Practice of Professional Engineering’ in Canada?

Engineers Canada defines the practice of professional engineering as “any act of planning, designing, composing, evaluating, advising, reporting, directing or supervising, or managing any of the foregoing that requires the application of engineering principles and that concerns the safeguarding of life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment.” 

In other words, you use your engineering education and experience to do work to the best of your ability, without harmful impact to others or the environment.

Having your licence lets people know you are a qualified engineer who meets provincial/territorial standards. It means you have the academic and experience requirements to perform your job safely and produce reliable work of the highest quality, and that you are committed to upholding the values, ethics and principles of the profession.


What Do I Need To Know About Engineering In Canada?

Engineering licences are granted by professional engineering associations that operate in each of the country’s provinces and territories. These associations regulate every aspect of the engineering profession in their respective jurisdictions. In Canada, there is no national engineering licence.

To work as a professional engineer in one of Canada’s provinces or territories, you must receive a licence from that province or territory’s engineering association. This is true for everyone, whether born and educated in Canada or in another country. 

You can work in engineering in Canada before you receive your licence or register with a professional engineering association—as long as you are supervised by a professional engineer (P.Eng.).

You can visit the EngScape website to learn about labour market trends for the Canadian engineering profession. The site also provides information on employment rates and salary, post-secondary enrolment and immigrant employment, available by province and discipline.


Which engineering association should I apply to?

You must apply for your P.Eng. licence with the professional engineering association in the province or territory where you want to work. The association will answer your questions about its regulations or admission policies.

If you move from one part of Canada to another after you earn your P.Eng. licence, you can easily request a transfer or an additional licence from the association in your new province.

NEXT Licensing in Canada