navigation arrow

A  |  B  |  C  |  D  |  E  |  F  |  G  |  H  |  I  |  J  |  K  |  L  |  M  |  N  |  O  |  P  |  Q  |  R  |  S  |  T  |  U  |  V  |  W  |  X  |  Y  |  Z


- A -


Academic Assessment

The evaluation of an applicant’s education by a provincial/territorial engineering association.


Accredited Program

A Canadian undergraduate engineering program recognized by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board as meeting or exceeding standards of education needed to qualify graduates for licensure.



The official recognition given to a Canadian undergraduate engineering program to show it meets or exceeds education standards required to qualify graduates for engineering licensure.



A person who applies to obtain a licence from a provincial/territorial engineering association.


- B -


Bridging Program

A program to prepare individuals who have been trained in other countries for work in Canada. Bridging programs address gaps in an individual’s knowledge and experience. They help people find work that suits their skills and education while they gain valuable Canadian work experience.


- C -


Canadian Environment

A jurisdiction in which an applicant for licensure must gain at least one year of engineering work experience. The term “Canadian environment” is defined as work experience obtained in Canada, supervised by a professional engineer licensed in the applicable Canadian jurisdiction.  In some jurisdictions, work experience acquired outside Canada is also acceptable if the applicant can demonstrate a good knowledge of local Canadian engineering laws, practices, standards, customs, codes, conditions, climate, and technology. 


Citizenship and Immigration Canada

The federal government department responsible for evaluating people hoping to immigrate to Canada and issuing Canadian citizenship; see


Confirmatory Examination Program

A set of exams that applicants must pass to confirm they meet the academic requirements for licensure in their field of engineering. The provincial/territorial association will determine how many exams applicants need to take. 


Cover Letter

A document that introduces a job applicant to a potential employer, accompanied by a CV (résumé).


Curriculum Vitae (CV)

Similar to a résumé, but can be longer and more detailed. Generally, ‘résumé’ and ‘CV’ mean the same thing.



A degree or certificate earned after specific academic training is completed. See Degree.


Credential Assessment Service

An organization that will assesses your academic credentials to see how they compare to Canadian academic credentials. These organizations provide information only, and do not guarantee that your academic qualifications will be recognized for certification purposes in Canada. For more information about this type of service, please visit the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials at 

Starting in May 2013, all people applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of their completed foreign educational credentials. If you are only submitting a Canadian educational credential, you do not need to do this. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada.  For more information, visit


- D -



A degree is an academic credential, usually earned at a university. There are two main kinds of degrees in Canada:  

  1. undergraduate degrees, which require a minimum four years of full-time study; 

  2. graduate degrees or post-graduate degrees which can only be earned after you have obtained an undergraduate degree. For example, Masters would involve one to two years of further study; and a Doctorate would involve two to five years of study.

It is important to note that, in Canada, a degree is different from a diploma, which is earned after a one- to three-year program.



A title that appears after a person’s name and indicates his or her professional qualification. 



A specific kind of engineering work a person does. Common engineering disciplines are civil, electrical and mechanical.


- E -



An applicant for licensure who has met his or her academic requirements and is working toward gaining the required engineering work experience.  Ingénieur junior is the term used in Quebec for the engineer-in-training designation.

Ingénieur stagiaire is the term used in New Brunswick for the engineer-in-training designation.


- G -


Good Character

A person of ‘good character’ values honesty and trustworthiness and agrees with Engineers Canada’s Code of Ethics.


- I -


Immigrant Serving Agency

An organization that provides guidance to newcomers to Canada on things like getting language training and finding a place to live. Also called immigrant serving organization and settlement services agency.


- L -


Language of Practice

The official language—either English or French—used during the practice of engineering in Canada’s provinces and territories.



The official document that provides proof of formal permission given by a provincial/territorial engineering association to practise engineering. You must have a licence to practise engineering independently in Canada.



The granting of a professional engineering licence. A provincial/territorial engineering association grants licensure after reviewing and accepting an applicant’s required qualifications.


- M -



An experienced professional engineer (P.Eng.) who provides guidance and supervision to a less experienced engineer or an engineer-in-training who has recently entered the workforce.


Mutual Recognition Agreements (Education-based)

Engineers Canada negotiates education-based international mutual recognition agreements on behalf of Canada’s engineering profession.  These agreements mainly recognize the equivalency of the accreditation systems (engineering education) used in other countries with the Canadian system. Engineers who are graduates of an accredited or recognized engineering program offered in a country where an Engineers Canada agreement applies are generally considered to meet the academic requirements to be licenced as professional engineers in Canada, making it easier for the provincial/territorial engineering associations to evaluate the academic credentials of international engineering graduates and for Canadian engineers to work and be licensed as engineers in other countries.  See the International Mobility of Engineers page on the Engineers Canada website for more information.


- N -



The practice of building professional relationships with engineers and other professionals to advance one’s career.


- P -


P. Eng.

The designation that allows you to practise engineering in Canada. It is the short form of professional engineer. ‘P.Eng.’ is a recognized and protected title, and can be used only by professional engineers.  Ingénieur (ing.) is the  term used in Quebec and New Brunswick for the licensed engineer designation. 


Professional Engineer (P. Eng.)

A person who has earned a licence to practise engineering (the P.Eng. licence). P.Eng. is a recognized and protected title, and can be used only by professional engineers.  Ingénieur (ing.) is the  term used in Quebec and New Brunswick for the licensed engineer designation


Professional Practice Exam

An exam that must be taken by applicants for licensure. The exam tests knowledge of Canadian engineering laws and ethics.



An official district within Canada. Provinces have their own governments and are responsible for the administration of certain public services like education and health care. There are 10 provinces in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan. See territory.


- R -



A person such as a former employer, client or professor who is familiar with you and your work who can describe your personal and professional qualities, for example how you work with others.



Recognized as a member of a provincial/territorial engineering association. 



The process of being registered as a member of a provincial/territorial engineering association.


Regulated Profession

An occupation or job that is controlled by provincial or territorial law and governed by a professional organization or regulatory body. Engineers, lawyers and architects are all members of regulated professions.



A document that describes your education, work experience, skills and contact information, usually no more than two pages long. Résumés do not include personal information like your picture, marital status or religion.


- S -



  1. A summary or outline of a particular academic course, exam or discipline.

  2. The full list of courses or exams required in a particular discipline.


- T -



An official district within Canada similar to a province but with fewer administrative powers. There are three territories in Canada: Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.



An official document similar to a mark sheet issued by your academic institution upon completion of your program that contains a record of the courses you took, your grades in those courses and degrees you earned.



The process of moving a registered member of a provincial/territorial engineering association to another association.


- U -


Undergraduate Degree

See Degree.


- W -


Work Experience Record

A document that contains a description of your engineering activities that meet the 5 criteria:

  • Application of theory
  • Practical experience
  • Management of engineering
  • Communication skills
  • Social implications of engineering


PREVIOUS Tips and Resources
NEXT Frequently Asked Questions