Licensing in Canada

navigation arrow

To take responsibility for your engineering work in Canada, you need to have an engineering licence. To obtain a licence, you need to meet requirements in academics, work experience, language, good character, and professionalism and ethics.


Get Licensed

To be a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada, you need to become licensed by a Canadian provincial or territorial engineering association. However, you can still work in engineering—even if you haven’t been licensed by a professional engineering association—as long as you are supervised by a professional engineer (P.Eng.). Learn about the application process and how long it takes to become licensed.


What is a provincial/territorial engineering association and how do I become licensed?

Canadian professional engineering associations regulate every aspect of the engineering profession in Canada and operate in this country’s provinces and territories.  Engineering licences are granted by these associations. You must apply for your P.Eng. licence with the professional engineering association in the province or territory where you want to work. That association will answer any questions you might have about its regulations or official admissions policies.


Membership Types

Two kinds of memberships are offered by every engineering association in Canada:  

Engineer-in-Training – This membership status indicates that the first step in the licensing process has been completed by satisfying the academic requirements and meeting the good character requirements.  People with an engineer-in-training membership are working toward gaining the four years of engineering work experience they need—including one year in Canada—to become a professional engineer (P.Eng.).

Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) – With this you will be licensed to practise professional engineering in your area of expertise and take full responsibility for your own work.

You do not need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada to become a professional engineer (P.Eng.) here. However, your citizenship or residency status may affect the type of licence you are eligible to obtain, depending on which provincial/territorial association you apply to for licensure. For specific requirements or information on other memberships and types of licences, visit the professional engineering association’s website.


About the official title of ‘Professional Engineer’

Your licence also becomes an official title (designation) you can use to describe yourself by adding “P. Eng”, which stands for ‘professional engineer’, after your name. You can use your licence as an official title only after you have been assessed and judged to meet the requirements for licensure.

PREVIOUS Engineering in Canada
NEXT Application Process